Sunday 19 February 2012

Top Ten List Of The Worst Things You Can Say To A Baby Loss Mummy

Below is a list of things people have said to me over the past three months. I have also provided the response that went through my head (naturally I was too polite to actually say that)...

1. "There is always someone who is worse off than you" 

Yes, cheers, thanks for that. I appreciate that there are such people in the world but if I am quite honest, I don't know how they haven't topped themselves as I can't imagine feeling any worse than I do now.

2. "Wouldn't the morphine make the baby drowsy during labour?"

Umm, given he was already dead at that point I am thinking "No"?

3. "You went to the Maldives? Wow, you are so lucky."

If you'd like to send your baby to Heaven and send William back down to me I will gladly fork out for you to go to the Maldives.

4. "I'm pregnant"

I hate you.

5. "I'm worried about giving birth"

FFS stop complaining. At least your baby should be alive at the end of it.

6. "What on earth do you want a big car like that for?"

Well we ordered it when I was pregnant and then after the baby died we thought the least we deserved was a new car....even if we have nothing to fill it with.


7. "Well let me tell you, you have been through a lot but I've been to hell and back"

My baby is dead. Your husband might have had surgery but he is alive. I think I trump you on the hell and back stakes on this one.

8.  "It's not all about you"

Thanks. It's been three months. Sorry I've been "making it all about me" for longer than you deem acceptable.


9. "We've all been through difficult times and have felt like that"

Right. I don't think you are fully appreciating this situation. I lost my baby, my BABY.  "Difficult times" doesn't even begin to describe it and rest assured, I don't think you have ever felt like this.


10. "It must be very worrying" [about the genetic tests and another baby potentially having the same condition]

Yes it is. Thanks for the reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment